Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cosmic Chaos: Student's Life in Gaza


Just another exam, just another day full of countless hours of studying and revising. Or at least that’s what I thought it’s going to be. I woke up early to study for my Parasitology final exam. Sitting quietly in my room and everything was perfect, the electricity was on, what more a student can ask for?
It was hours later when the beloved electricity decided to depart leaving me angry and frustrated. But anyhow that didn’t stop me from studying, there was sun out there. I pulled a chair and opened the balcony and sat down and started studying under the beautiful Gazan sky. Perfect again? No. and then the bombs started flying around. East Khan Younis where I live was under attack. Almost every hour there was sounds of gun shots, explosions and the following ambulance sirens. The Earth was agitated like it’s never been in a while. Regardless I continued studying because god knows no amount of time is enough for Parasitology, I kept that in mind and decided to block out the sounds of everything around in order to finish but imagine how hard it was when you’re sitting in the middle of this unpleasant action. RPGs. Arterially shells. Ambulance sirens. You’d think I’d freak out and drop my books but to tell the truth the idea of not being able to study and revise properly scared me more. So I kept on studying while being continually interrupted by the sounds of gun shots and explosions and again screaming ambulance sirens. This seemed endless. But I kept on going anyways, it took me longer than it usually does to memorize the classes and diseases caused by each parasite because I kept forgetting them, thanks for the countless distractions around and that’s when I decided to use them in my favour. I linked each class of parasites to a time we were being bombed and  I eventually did get them right. Israel eat your heart out!
Now the sun was also departing declaring that I can no longer use her beautiful rays to study. And that’s when I decided to go grab some coffee from a nearby café in Khan Younis. Hoping by the time I get home they would’ve turned on the generator and I can continue studying.

I came back home after 30 minutes to find my mother and sister  still drowning in the darkness they were in before I left. I was mad. I still had an astronomical amount of studying to do and there was no light! Then the conversation drifted not to be about the absent electricity but about my short temper, which got even shorter when it was the centre of attention. As if they don’t know that it’s a good thing that I’m still sane after all. I went to search for the ‘’Kaz light’’ I haven’t used it in ages and it was time for it to shine (literally). I lit it and started studying. Ok it’s a summer day it was hot already and the little kaz light wasn’t helping the matters. Anyhow, continuing: intestinal nematodes, tissue and blood nematodes and life goes on. And my vision doesn’t.
Hours later the generator magically started working! It was like an adrenaline shot straight to the heart, I jumped and turned on the lights and guess what!
Due to fluctuating current of the generator the light bulb decided to explode, as if it wasn’t enough being bombed all morning.
You’d think I’d go mad and drop my books.
But instead I started laughing hysterically. The day has been hilarious no?
At that point I had no fight in me and my eyes started to give up.
I made myself another mug of coffee and got up to the roof to watch the mesmerizing night sky, something has to be good about this day.
Perfect again? Sad to report that it wasn’t.
The sky was perfect but that wasn’t the issue. As I gazed  at the sky I noticed the lonely creatures roaming above aka DRONES. And other warplanes making a pattern in the sky that could distract you even from Vega.
The whole day felt like a cosmic chaos from the start, most days in Gaza are like this, we’re bombed but we choose to continue studying. The power is out but we choose to continue studying. The generator is not working, we choose to continue studying. The drones are so loud that you can’t sometimes hear yourself think, we choose to continue studying. Regardless of the circumstances we choose to continue studying because we know very well that as Palestinians our education is our ticket to freedom. And that’s what was engraved in every cell of my brain from the moment I was born.
So cheers to all the Gazan students  studying when the power is out and losing their eyesight just like I’m losing mine. We can make it! 

18 comments:

Rafi said...

You are an inspiration :)

Rafi said...

You are a great student and an inspiration :) Keep shining bright star :)

Unknown said...

this a an absolutely lovely peace of writing. Not only are u an inspiration, but this inspires everyone who reads this. thank u so much

Amena Saleem said...

Brilliant, powerful, inspirational writing. Thank you. And good luck in your exams!

Anonymous said...

An excellent desscription of life in Gaza. Most us here in London, UK don't know much about daily life in Gaza.

Anonymous said...

An excellent account of life in Gaza. Keep studying. Maybe the bbih powers like Russia and China will one day help, along with Germany when it gets over it WW2 guilt

Unknown said...

Thank you guys for your lovely comments.
Wilson, you're not being censored, all comments are not published directly they 'undergo moderation' first.
Thank you for passing! :)

Spiral_galaxy said...

Allahu Akbar!

Basma, I really can't express my spiraling joy being slowed down by teary eyes and a pulsating heart after having read the resisting spirit of a Palestinian.

Sub7anAllah, how fortunate to have such tolerance leading to appreciating things which we regard as ''small;; when in actual fact there's a Creation out there much greater than us; Allah's Universe, Sky, Sun, Moon and stars and what ever it contains known and unknown, etc.

If only we take lesson from the Palestinians it will surely have Astronomical effects on our Earth who's so abused...

I now have more grounds for my firm belief that Palestine and Astronomy go hand in hand.
You might think I am crazy, but for me, I find countless of similarities between Palestine and Astronomy. Chaos indeed!

Sister, I haven't read such a scintillating blog post in a very long time.
A post that's beaming all the way to the very tip of the African continent, South Africa.

It's a dream to come to know that Palestinians have time for stargazing in such a harsh terrane.
Allahu Akbar!

Just shows how IzraHell is defeated already.
I can't believe how we the so called ''free'' people of the world take so many thing for granted.
May Allah forgive us, Ameen.

Palestine the Holy land.
A land that is the chamber to the Heavens.
Israa Wal Mi3raaj

What more can I say, my brain's spiraling at the moment with PalAstro.

Love love love this!

I am definitely going to save this story from beloved Ghazze.


Allahumman-nsuril Muslimeen fi Bilaad Shaam, Filisteen

Allahumma Tahhir Masjid Al-Aqsa mir-rijsy Yahood.

Ameen Allahumma Ameen.


Your sister in Islam,
Isra
RSA


PS
I read this awesome post in the month of ''Rajab'' 29th 1433AH
:-D
Amazing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

THE SAD SAND OF REFAH

Why doesn't the name of Iman al-Hams
ring out as loudly as that of Anne Frank.
Shot twice, then automatic fire point-blank,
a schoolgirl, 13, dies on Rafah Sands,
back October 5, 2004.
Anne, throughout the decades, is loved world-wide.
Iman? for fifteen seconds the world cried.
There was compassion but who closed the door.
The EU and the US have sanctions
against the oppressed Palestinian,
while Israel adds land to its dimensions.
Joshua calls from the millenniums,
sending in settlers for multtiple theft.
No equality in life, less in death.

An Israeli euphemism:
`Quickly approach and confirm the kill.'
Dreaming, the watchtower comes into vision.
Does she hear?: `Don't shoot, it's a little girl!'
A soldier doesn't recognise the foe.
But his commander knows the status quo
and shatters this Palestinian pearl.

Southern Gaza, Rafah refugee Camp:
Another day, another burial,
one more Israeli media revamp,
another life cast as ethereal.
First found a nation on bibical tomes
then ethnic cleanse and know that God condones.

The First Internal Investigation:
`Captain `R' didn't act unethically.'
(Truth, also shot, lies flat on its belly)
His wounded heart receives embrocation.
Second Internal Investigation:
`Captain `R', a Druze, is a gun for hire!'
His unit loathes him, drags him through the mire.
But Death sings in any congregation.
So Captain `R' killed a young teenager?
Yes, the girl died but it wasn't murder.
Compensation, promotion to Major,
with a good view of the Gaza border.
Iman's dad listen to the legal gen:
`Keep dying Palestinian children?'

(First published: Irish Political Review, February, 2008

Iram said...

Great post Basma, and use those awful bombs as mnemonics. Clever indeed! :)
Thank you for sharing your spirit and bravery. I look forward to reading more.
London

Anonymous said...

Keep going, Basma. I love your poetry and your bogs of everyday life in Gaza. The enemy do not like articulate people like you. Words last longer than bombs.

Unknown said...

Thank you Iram.
Wilson, thank you so much, I will keep going inshallah, very glad you like my poetry:)

Anonymous said...

REMEMBERING THE CHILDREN OF PALESTINE

The blood of children runs faster than ink.
Slaughter, the pen races to keep in synch.
Remember Aya al-Astal aged nine,
a young girl not even blossom on the vine
shot dead at Israels's Kissufim checkpoint
though seen through night-vision lens, lead annoints
Mounadel Abu Alya also dead,
ran backwards into more Israeli lead.
This thirteen-year-old boy walked the wrong road
that settlers out of New York that day strode.
Try at least to remember some children
trapped in the Palestinian cauldron.
At Yad Vashem each year they remember
in sight of Deir Yassin the dismembered.

(First published: Irish Political Review 12th August, 2009)

Anonymous said...

THE WALL

High up on the West Bank in Palestine,
built on the razed olive grove, the dead vine,
there is an Israeli settler wall
painted at neighbours eyeball-to-eyeball.
Ethnic cleansing as an artful vision.
Those pretty pastel shades shouts derision.
You do not exist, no life to defend.
No town, no men, no women, no children.
On a grey canvas the future takes place.
Beyond the wall a whole world is defaced.
Empty, empty hills, empty khaki hills.
Such a picture on concrete kills.
Tanks, planes, shells, soldiers, follow the artist.
Next, bureaucracry the anaesthetist.

(First published, Irish Political Review, September, 2009)

Anonymous said...

NETZARIM JUNCTION

Fifteen bullet holes marks the cinder-blocks,
this wall of death for a twelve-year-old shocks.
Mohammed al-Durrah died here, was killed here,
30 September, 2000, the tears
in his father's arms, at Netzarim Junction.
A Saturday and a used-car auction
in Gaza City, a pleasurable trip
but at Netzarim Junction bullets zipped.
The Israelis cleansing the area
hum lead to make a death-head aria.
Fifteen notes on cinder-block papyrus
dedicated to the cadaverous.
There is a wedding here at Netzarim Junction,
harshly the bass-baritone sings his hymn.
Now the music hots up to allegro.
Any time soon death will don her trousseau.
Begin, you chorus of father and son!
Ram's horn, cymbals, bombardon, all begun.
The orchestra drowns chorus as it screams.
STOP? But the supreme cannot stop its dream.

Mohammed succumbs to the crescendo,
his dad's wounds tease death's innuendo.

One of their generals writes a review
saying another orchestra, not Hebrew,
did play this dirge of sharp semi-quavers,
his musicians didn't want for favours
but he will apologise anyway:
`SORRY! Now you say sorry for that day.'

Mohammed will live again through etiquette?
This general builds the future on regrets.

(First published, Irish Political Review, October issue, 2009)

Anonymous said...

OUT TO GRASS

He tells the truth about Israel
but in dishonest even-handedness sells
out the elected leader of Iram.
No reward there for those who murder and steal
Palestiniam land.
His enforced teenage days in the Waffen SS
is not forgotten by Mosssad who destroys
with zeal
flesh and reflections of the mind.
Now Gunter, to pay back in kind,
has thoughts on re-working his poem:
`It was not the nation but the government'
he meant to weed from this fertile loam.
Tell me, Herr Grass, did such an authority
ever exist. that did not, do not, will not
persist
with lebensraum
while most of the world
looks on.

(published Labour Affairs, London, May edition, 2012.
Also in Church & State, County Cork, Ireland, third quarter, 2012)

Unknown said...

I have found some tips of how gadgets, I mean technical ones, can help students and improve their studying process, make it more convenient: students gadgets